Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Pirates bad?


Ok, so everybody seems to think that Pirates of the Caribbean 3 is bad... I went to see it anyway. You know what, it was fabulous! I think however that it's not your standard Hollywood fare. It has it's Hollywood moments but it also has a lot of classic Dynamation moments. The animation is of corse supurb but the cheesy storyline, the fights and the villans are very "Jason and the Argonats" or "Sinbad the Sailor". I think that perhaps if the production quality could have been slightly lacking people might have warmed up to it more. I mean they have a voodoo priestess who blows up into being a 50 foot woman before dissolving into a storm of crabs... cheezy-awesome! Plus the first time we see Jack Sparrow is in a bizzare dream world where he is in hell (Davey Jones' Locker) and going mad in a sequence that is very indie-art-film... so no wonder people aren't as gaga about this one as the last two. It's still the same format but with a totally different flavor. I personally loved this movie as it is, and I'm glad I entered the theater expecting to be let down because I was pleasantly surprised. Oh and an added bonus was that this was a Disney movie where people were actually grimy with scars and really bad teeth (except for Orlando and Kiera but oh well)... so that was cool too.
Conclusion; cheesy fantasy movie lovers and dynamation enthusiasts will love this movie.

No comments: