Friday, April 25, 2008

Earth Day Parts 2 through 7

You know what, my whole seven continent thing really just isn't going to work for my blog. My description is "pictures of my world" and well, I haven't seen so much of the world. So far I've only seen North America and the UK... barely anything. I would post about the redwoods, but I do that anyway.
I would post about Antarctica because I am fascinated by it, but I have links to the sites I think are truly worth seeing. It's hard to put into digestable bites all that I find so irresistable about the place. I mean, I live in Berkeley because I love the year round weather that involves zero snow (ever) but Antarctica is so full of possibility. It's untainted, vulnerable, beautiful and displays the most obvious signs of climate change and the future of the planet. It holds hidden parts of the past of the planet...It is a mystery, a blank place on the map; thar be monsters here...

I would post about the Yangtse river and how much I want to see it. The Yangtse has a river dolphin that is probably extinct now but captured my imagination as much as unicorns or dragons when I was little.

I would like to write about Australia and how everything there could kill you, but there's such a wealth of marsupials and other throw-back species that reside there...

I would post about deforestation in Europe and how they are trying to recover what was lost...
Then there is South America. The obvious choice is the Amazon and how the rate of extinction is tragic, how we need to support sustanable enterprises there. Really I've never been to South America so what other problems they have I'm not sure. My aunt and uncle live in Ecuador and tell me that the UV rays there are extremely harsh...
There are many places that I want to see, that I think deserve preservation but I don't think it's my place to write about so much that I've never seen. I do care about them but this is not the forum to discuss such things.
Basically I think it's important to see the world around you, to look towards places beyond you and to see how they are all connected... I hate getting preachy and I hate focusing on negativity... Martin Luther King wouldn't have gone far with a speech that began "I had a nightmare". We need to envision a better world because that's all we can do. So I'm sorry but I'm not going to post about places I want to see but haven't yet.  
Happy Earth Day. 

No comments: