Friday, July 4, 2008

why hotels have free Breakfast

Even hotels with "kitchens" have continental breakfasts. Today I wanted a hole-in-one egg (which is an egg cooked in a cut out piece of toast) and beans (something I've been fond of since leaving England). The free breakfast buffet does involve eggs but the eggs are those disgusting powdered variety you get from cafeterias. The eggs I eat, always have to be fancy expensive laid by cage-free vegetarian hens, because those are the only ones that taste good (plus the ethical concerns)... anyway I fired up the electric range included at my hotel and found that there is no way to determine how hot the stove is getting and there's no way to make anything cook evenly. I managed to fill the room with smoke but through some miracle I avoided setting off the smoke alarms. This is the tasty dish I managed to scorch half of and leave the other half just barely cooked...

Ugh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember thinking I could cook, until we got our apt. in Eureka and yep, electric stove! Not as bad as yours perhaps, but we had to relearn anyway! Mom

Anonymous said...

Would have worked better with Stater Brother's eggs. Place a small pat of butter in the skillet, with an equal amount of olive oil. When the butter has melted, and before it scorches, drop in the bread then pore the egg into the hole in the bread (from a cup). The oil will be hot enough when the butter has melted. Turn heat down to low to medium. Turn toast when golden brown. DOD